Saturday, August 16, 2008

Sleep Study

It has been about a year that I have not been able to sleep well at night. My doctor decided that I needed to have a sleep study done. Last night was my study. I arrived at the sleep center at 7:30 pm. I watched a video about what was going to happen to me. I was a bit apprehensive about being able to fall asleep.
1) I have always been a stomach sleeper, but I couldn't sleep on my stomach during the study.
2) I was going to be hooked up to about a billion probes.
3) I had to turn EVERYTHING off by 11:00 pm.
At least I was able to see Michael Phelps win his 7th gold...
This was not going to be fun.
The only bonus to this was the fact that I was sleeping in a sleep number bed.

At about 9:00, the technician came in to "hook" me up. She started by explaining a little about what she would be doing. First, I had to put on my PJs. Then the fun began. She attached an EKG to my rib cage. Two probes were dropped down my pajama bottoms and attached to my legs. I then sat down on the chair while she attached probes to my head. These were to monitor my brain waves so that the doctor could tell what stage of sleep I was in. When she was all finished, after about an hour, she left to check on her other patient. I went straight to the bathroom to check out my new hairdo!

These are all of the wires that were attached to the probes attached to my head!!
This is how beautiful I looked!!
I had the probes all over the back of my head, on my face, the tube in my nose also was a sensor, I had a microphone taped to my throat. I just looked fabulous. I am sure that Nathan would have really been turned on by me!

At 11:00 it was lights out. It took me awhile to fall asleep, surprise, surprise. I woke up a couple of times during the night. I was wide awake at about 5:30 am. The technician came in and unhooked me. I asked her a couple of questions about what she saw, she told me a little, but couldn't say much. I opted to shower at home, so I was out of the sleep center by 6:10 am.

It took me 4 times to wash out all of the gunk they used to stick the probes to my head. The glue from the probes on my face took a ton of scrubbing.

I am anxious to have my follow up appointment with the neurologist. I hope they will figure out what is wrong with me.
This experience was definitely not something I will ever forget.

3 comments:

Verlynn said...

I am soooo impressed that you were actually able to sleep with all that junk on. That's crazy. Seems to me that there have got to be better ways to monitor. Can't wait to hear the results.

Unknown said...

wow...sexy mama! I seriously don't know how you ever slept like that. I'm also anxious to hear the results.

Natalie said...

Whoa, I'd have the most difficult time sleeping hooked up like that. Keep up posted!