Thursday, September 4, 2008

I survived the first day of KINDERGARTEN

The day has finally arrived. Ian started kindergarten today. I went into work late so that I could get him ready for school. I made him breakfast, helped him get dressed and prepared him for what he was going to face today. He wore denim jeans, his new Nike Reax shoes, and his new scull shirt. Of course we won't forget his Camo back pack.

I left right before the bus came. I just knew I couldn't handle that... Nathan took him to the bus stop at 8:45. The bus arrived a little after 8:55. He took two steps into the bus, turned around, and with a terrified face said "dad......." Nathan assured him all would be well. The bus driver greeted him by name. He sat down in an empty seat two rows back from the driv
er. A little girl who was late to the bus stop, got on and sat next to Ian. He still had the terrified look when the bus started moving. It went down the street and turned. Nathan saw Ian and he was smiling nice and big. Whew

Meanwhile, I had already arrived at work and was a complete basket case. I have never been so nervous. I kept thinking of all
of the scary things he was going to experience. The strange new kids, getting off the bus all by himself, not having mom and dad to help him.... I could barely get anything done at work.

At 12:30, I called Nathan to see if Ian had arrived home yet, Nope, not yet. I called at 12:32 to see if Ian was home, Nop
e, not yet. I called at 12:35, Nope not yet. At 12:38.... you get the picture. The bus finally arrived at 1:03.35 (not that I was watching the clock or anything!). Ian got off the bus and smiled. Nathan asked how his first day of school was. He replied "good". Nathan asked what he learned about. "numbers". He has already mastered the one word answers after just the first day. He is a smart kid! Ian then explained to Nathan that he had fun at school, but he is not going back, he can do the same things at home and be in his underwear all day. That's my boy!



1 comment:

Verlynn said...

Gotta love him! I personally agree with the underwear idea. Good luck Mom! I know you can make it.